Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pita!


  • I used to buy my pitas at the super market. Panos, my son in law, asked me for a recipe for pitas and so I started looking for one. As I did my morning errands through the neighborhood, I would ask my Greek friends if they had a recipe for pitas.  They all said, "go to the super market, they're good and they're cheap".  I went for my daily swim at the little church, where the same people gather for the passed 20 years that I've lived here.  I asked the international crowd there for a recipe for pitas.  Finally, I was given two recipes, both from foreigners.  I tried them both and found the one from Georgia to be outstanding. The one from Bulgaria didn't have yeast, but both ladies told me the secret to soft pitas was using milk and not water.  Yannis made meatballs last night and I made a salad and yogurt dip and we piled it all on the best pitas I've ever tasted!  The recipe is so good that most of it was eaten right out of the pan, with a little salt and butter......nice! I'm so happy I can make fresh pitas so easily.... No matter what any Greek may tell you,. never get them at the supermarket !
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 package yeast
  • 1 teas. sugar
  •   let the above mixture sit for 5 minutes, in a large bowl put
  • 6 cups flour
  • 1 Tables. salt
  • 2 Tables. olive oil
  • put the yeast mixtures in the middle of the flour and stir in 2 cups of warm milk; knead enough flour into the dough until it won't take any more, but is still elastic. Knead for about 10 minutes.  Place dough in a bowl and wipe with olive oil; cover and let sit for one hour.  Heat a griddle or fry pan and wipe it with olive oil or butter. ( I used butter), divide the dough into 12 balls and cover them with a moist cloth.  Press each ball with your hand into a 10 inch circle ;making the pita about 1/4 inch thick.  Fry over medium to low heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.  Remove and serve with most anything and everything you can think of!!When I say everything...

No comments:

Post a Comment